Wednesday, May 18, 2005

My thoughts on the next Gen.

Ok E3 is here and all the hype this year so far is about the next generation of video game consoles. SO in case you care and even if you dont here are my thoughts on the up and comers

Xbox 360 -- Ok first off yes I agree the name is gay. I think X2 or X squared or something like that would have been much cooler than 360 but I know why they did this. If you dont know here are the reasons I have read.

1. MS didnt want to call it x2 and have it launch around a ps3 b/c 3 is bigger than 2 so it must be better. (I hate the average consumer)

2. Nintendo is calling their next gen "revolution" and 360 degrees is 1 revolution.

SO like I said I think the name thing is dumb. Now on to the console design. I have to say of all three designs I have seen, so far it is my favorite looking. They have made it a lot smaller and I think the design is very appealing. Now Jason criticized the shape b/c MS has said that the design is inspired by inhaling. He went on to say that when he inhales his lungs expand so the concaves dont make sense. Ok everyone lets go to a mirror and stand sideways. now take a deep breath. WOW you chest goes out while you stomach goes in. And your stomach is in the middle of your body so you could make a concave design from it. It might be a weak reason for the design but it is feasible. Ok so whats cool about the 360?

1. all games at least in 720p format!!!
2. wireless controllers!!!
3. Basic Xbox live out of the box free!!!
3. Square Enix game(s)!!!!

Other info. Launches this fall, costs probably $299.99 has limited backwards compatibility.

Ok now onto Sony. The PS3 is going to be big. Actually it almost looks bigger to me than the 360. Hows that for irony since all the sony fanboys made fun of the xbox for being so big last time around. Ok the design. sigh I really dont like how it looks. It kept reminding me of something and I couldnt remember until now. Bose makes a home theater system that looks quite a bit like the ps3. I just think thats interesting and not very original. Anyway so thats the design. I also want to take a moment to critique the presentation from sony. WOW! It was really cool and the one thing they did that I really liked was that they showed the video demos that they used for the ps2 event and compared them to what they had made with the ps3. It was just a really great way to see what was and what is now. Good job SONY!

SO whats interesting about the ps3

1. fully backwards compatible with the entire Playstation library!!! wow
2. 2 terra flops of processing power!!!
3. Wireless controllers!
4. BluRay drive (dang!)

Other info -- Launches spring 06 could cost at least $450.00 my guess will be $499.99 -- Ouch that is harsh. I was talking with somone the other day about how I didnt think the ps3 would have the blu ray drive b/c it would not be cost effective and hit the price point for a home console. I think I was right about it knocking the price point out of the park. That could be the killer for the ps3 in the us market. I mean say it goes for 500 then you add on a game and another controller and you are looking at close to 600 bucks. Your average consumer is not going to do that. Also that would put it at a couple of years before it even matched the launch price of the xbox 360 and by that time the 360 will probably be only $199.99

Finnally Nintendo revolution. Ok I will be straight up and admit that I have not watched the nintendo conf. yet but I have seen pics and yeah this is what I am thinking. I dont like it. ITs tiny. yes very very tiny. Like three dvd cases stacked together. That tells me the revolution is not going to be anywhere near the ps3 or 360 in terms of console power. But nintendo doesnt care about that. Nintendo only cares about making its games. And they dont care if anyone likes them or not b/c they are nintendo. I dont know they are just kinda like clueless when it comes to this stuff. Like the revolution will also be a dvd player now. WHOOO HOO the other two consoles have been doing that since 2000. Now 5 years later they give support to it. Please. I think nintendo would be better to drop their home console stick with the gameboy and DS and develop games for the ps3 and 360. I just wonder how many times someone at nintendo has thought. "wow can you imagine the zelda we could have made with xbox?" or "can you imagine how amazing mario would look on the ps2?" I just feel like they want their console to be a portable console. Heck the game cube has a handle for easier carrying. Anyway those are my thoughts.

Cheers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think XXX ("triple X") would have been a better name for it, actually.

Anonymous said...

me and jason have been watching movies for new game systems this week. the game graphic is much better than i thought.

Ruki said...

Momo - I know the graphics are amazing and judging from the past what we are seeing now is just the tip of the iceberg. I think this generation might actually see in game graphics like those of pre-rendered cut scenes. Which is super duper cool!