Friday, September 30, 2005

POO SUPPLIES!!!!!!!!!


Ok first off this is a totally 100% un-doctored photo. I seem to always find the weirdest things and rarely have a camera with me to prove it. Like the whole "I got lance in my pants" post from before and also the "bone me" pic that I took. SO was stopped at a light and looked over and saw this. Grabbed the camera took aim and blamo!

Ok now onto my thursday. Some of you might remember that I have had some fairly big projects to work on at work and that as of late my success rate has been quite low. Well yesterday was going to be what I thought to be a trifecta of failure! I even debated on making up t-shirts feeling that all great disasters get t-shirts and that helps make those disasters well less disaterous and more fun! SO to my surprise I will say quickly that things went alright. Not great but alright. SO heres my day

got up at 5:50am and was out of the house by 6am on my way to a school to perform a cutover of service for them.

6:30 started to cutover (wich went badly on attempt 1 and this was attempt 2)

7:30 Success! and a quick departure from the school as I was needing to get to my next destination

7:45 arrived at the Montgomery County ESC to help set up for a big meeting my office was hosting there.

8:00 left the esc and returned to the office again succesfull!!

the rest of my normal work day was pretty standard however I had some pretty annoying support calls from people who openly admit to not understanding certain facets of technology but in contrast have no problem with making wild illogical theories as to why the previously admitted mystery is broken. What is even more impressive is how they continue to stick to their out there theory even after I explain why said theory is well totally WIC!

16:00 at this point I should be leaving to go home but no I have another thing to do at 6pm so i decide to stay at the office and try to get caught up on some stuff.

17:45 began final prep for my project. I will only mention what I was going to do once and here it is. I was making a 2nd attempt at upgrading our core routers operating system. Your thinking that doesnt sound so bad. In order to do this it requires me to take our ENTIRE facility down. Including all of the schools that we provide internet service for. The crux of this is also that once I take things down I no longer have the internet either. SO no way to look for help if I get stuck.

18:00 GO TIME- killed the power to the router and started swapping cards

19:00 First major snafu has cropped up as I can get the defualted router to see machines on my network but it cant communicate with them and I cant really even start the conversion until this problem is rectumfied (he he)

19:45 First major snafu resolved and conversion begins

20:30 Second major snafu crops up. The router will not accept my flash drive as a valid drive. This is a major issue as this is where my new software is located. I try and try and nothing seems to work. I decided to place a support call.

- side note - Dave Jacobson is my hero.

21:45 Still trying to work through snafu #2. Both dave and I are on the brink of pulling the plug and reverting to the back up plan but then Dave had an idea and bounced it off me. I agreed it was worth a shot.

22:15 After some work and some testing We both feel confident that this idea will be successfull. I will call this idea "The Flash Card Shuffle"

22:45 Operation "Flash Card Shuffle" is a success and we are able to boot the router normally with the new software. I breathed a quick sigh of relief and then went back into extreme panic mode as I was still not out of the woods yet as the configuration still needed to be restored and a lot of supplemental configuration was going to be needed.

23:45 Most everything is back to normal. Just a few nodes not working however they are very important so we start to focus on them

00:30 I tell Dave I think things are good and that I can get off the phone with him. However their are still a few local issues I need to resolve

01:00 Leave the office and got hit with major snafu #3. their was an accident on the interstate approximately 3 miles from my exit. I sat motionless on 75 for an hour.

02:00 finally pulled into the Garage at home. I was tired and beat. but I was mostly successfull.

SO that was my day. As far as today (friday) has gone I left a message at work saying that I would not be in till 9:30 ish (as opposed to my usual 7:30) as I felt I needed some sleep. But at 7:30 I got a call. E-mail was down as well as many web-sites. SO I threw on my jeans (I love casual friday) and jumped in the car got to work at 8am and worked at putting out minor issues that were a result of last nights upgrade. that lasted till about 10am. SO now im slacking and going to go home early and take a nap. Im dead tired and just want to sleep.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't you glad that it's over with?

Anonymous said...

Looks as if Admin is soliciting two 2 of his web sites, guess he's in administration arts.

Anonymous said...

Hello ##NAME##, surfing the net today for information on ##LINK## and found your post. ##TITLE## wasn't even what I was surfing for. Your post cerainly got my attantion, but can see why I found your post on related information. Keep up the good work.