Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Quick Rantage

Ok so everyone who knows me knows that I am not one to complain. In genereal I just do what I am told or find what needs to be done and I just do it. Heck I should be in a nike commercial. It could fade in and show a busy office building. All around are people talking and yelling asking questions looking for direction. Then in a lone cube in the bowels of the building would be one lone worker the sound of voices would fade away and a deep bass thump would slowly kick in and lead into a killer high energy trance track then the camera would pan above the cube and all you see is me working away. No talking, no whining, no what am I supposed to do now. Just me working and then the swoosh and the just do it tag would come up underneath and then everything else but the logo would fade to black. Of course I would be adorned in Nike's new yuppie wear but thats all beside the point. SO back to my rantage the other day a co-worker called me up to their office b/c of a computer problem. This is common and not a big deal. It turns out her CMOS battery was dead so everytime she shut her computer down the next time she turned it on it would have to reset a lot of settings and she would have to reset her clock. Nothing major just majorly annoying. SO I told her that and she says "doesnt surprise me that computer is two years old." Something at this moment hit me but I didnt say anything I just kept that thought in my mind. You see we here at my office are supposed to be on a 3 year pc retirment scheme and why this statement that she made was so interesting to me is that we both got our pcs at the same time. Yes they arrived the same day. I can just hear everybody now. WOW your computer is 2 years old big whoop. ha ha ha. no no no. I am still using the same computer since I first started working here. SO im on the one before this employees one that is 2 years old. SO let me run down some differences for the techies here

My pc is the only Gateway left in use.
Everyone else is using Dell's

My pc is running a PIII 733 mhz cpu
Everyone else is running PIII 2.0 Ghz or higher

My pc has a 15 gig hard drive
Everyoen else has at least 40 gigs

my pc is 2 months away from being 5 years old
everyone else's is less than 3 years old.

I am the only one in the building not using an LCD flat panel monitor. Even our computer lab has LCD's

SO why have I slipped through the cracks? Why has everyone else been upgraded and not me? I think the reason is that I dont complain. I just do my work. if my computer is running like crap I fix it and make it run better. I dont walk around the halls aimlessly waiting for people to ask me what im doing so I can say. Oh my computer shut down again and it takes like 15 min to reboot so I thought I would go for a walk. No I just do it. But im starting to think that the whole squeeky wheel getting the grease thing is not such a bad idea. I think i might talk with my director about my pc. B/c it is running dreadfully slow nowadays. And my memory has more leaks than the titanic. OMG. I have 512 MB of Ram but I think I lose almost half of that to memory leaks. Its crazy how this thing cant free a resource!!!!! Anyway so thats my rant. I think over the next week I am going to think about how to approach my Director and politely ask for a budget for a new machine and go from there. I will let you all know what and if I get anything.

cheers!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's simple... Just point out that your computer is five years old, and at 1/3 the pace of the average unit. Point out that you are the only one lacking in multiple areas computer-wise, and then you should state that "It's time."

Whether or not anything happens is beyond me, as I don't know how things work at your company, but that at least will remove the worry of how you should "approach the situation".

Anonymous said...

Yet another example of the cosmic brown cloud that constantly hovers over you, threatening to drop its load at the slightest provocation. But I bet there are technology-starved children in India that are still using TI-99's!

Anonymous said...

hehe he said "unit"

Anonymous said...

Now wait a second. Don't you work in the IT department at your company? Well, here in ours we always make sure we have up-to-date equipment. In fact, when new equipment arrives off the truck, everyone in our department hovers around the new toys to get theirs. Then, we take our "old" equipment and send it downstream to our users. Of course, we only do 2-year leases. And we still get whiners.

It sounds like you're definitely due for a nice new machine and a LCD monitor. Good luck! :)

Ruki said...

Jason - thats good advice. I think I am going to shoot my director an e-mail. hes on vacation right now. and just ask about the cycle and ask for a budget for a new machine so that I can spec it the way I want it.

Sue -- Ok I thought it was just a cosmic kick me sign. Now its a cloud of crap. I think Team America got to you!

-- Unit. ^_^

Jeff -- Yeah well ya know. Im all about the toys but my joke here is "yesterdays technology tommorow!" I wish we were on 2 year leases but then again I wish I could get a mac and still do my job. Oh well my hope is to get a dell with an intel d cpu (dual core rocks!) 1gig of ram and a bigger hdd. Other than that I am shooting for two 17" CRT's b/c thats what I am using now. And its cheaper to get those than a 15 inch lcd and all the extra real estate is to die for!.

Anonymous said...

As Ken would say, the people demand new posting!