Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Things that alter time? A little primer on Transitions

Ok so I think by now anyone who followes this blog knows that I am training for a Tri and yeah the amount that I am posting about it should be a pretty good indicator of how much time i am spending thinking and planning for it. Ya see I dont just want to finish. I want to race competitively. I feel that im in the shape right now that I could just do it today and finish in a somewhat respectible time. But like I said I dont want that. I want to win. Now im not dillusional and I dont think for a minute that I would actually win my age group although I would like a top 10 or even a top 5 finish. Just something I could be a little more proud of. SO that being said Im in talks with my sweetie about doing a half iron man in july. Yup their is one in Muncie Indiana which in case you were wondering is home to the national model aviation museum so I can tell from that its a happening town. SO the deal is to see how I fair in April before I commit to another race and thats fine with me. Its less than a month away now. SO to get back to the title of this post I have been spending a lot of time trying to figure out where I am at now in terms of how long it would take me to finish so that I can figure out what I need to do to make that time faster. Well so far I am only discovering things that are going to add time. The first one is the transitions. I totally forgot about these, probably b/c I dont like them! You see in a tri you have 5 total splits that factor into your time:

total swim time = time spent in pool
T1 = the first transition and the time it takes to get out of the pool and onto your bike
total bike time = time spent on the bike course
T2 = the second transition and is the time it takes to get off your bike and out to the run course
total run time = time spent on the run course.

Ya see most people dont realize that the clock never stops in a Tri. And you can lose a TON of time in the transitions. The first tri I did I was given the wrong start time and I showed up about 1/2 hour before the swim start! I had no time to prepare my transition area and b/c of that my T1 time was awefull as I was digging through my bag looking for shoes and sunglasses and things like that. Their is so much that goes into your transition plan and I really need to start practicing that as well. Im hoping for transition times under 2 min for both transitions. Ive been reading tips for how to make them go faster like dont plan on wearing socks b/c its hard to get socks on wet feet. Those are the type of things im evaluating to help make my transitions faster. but mostly I just need to practice. SO unfortunately what this means is optimistically I have just added another 4 minutes to my total time which may not seem like much but when you are thinking that you are around 1:18 min and want to go under 1:10 min and you realize you have to add 4 minutes to your total time it can be a bit of a downer.

SO other than that I have been playing pokemon fire red on the game boy thanks to steve. Its so nice to have the gameboy when lisa is doign something like beathing the final boss for xenosaga ep2 for like the 12th time and yeah im a little bored with that now so I can still snuggle up to her and play a game that I want to. SO thanks steve. Other than that last night I broke out morrowind and played it very briefly as I am anticipating oblivion. Cant wait! And we have started to play silent hill 2 again but we are starting with born from a wish which is a pretty good side story I think.

thats all for now
Cheers!

No comments: