Monday, May 11, 2009

Coffman YMCA Triathlon

Ok so here is a quick race report for my Peeps!

I felt really good at this race and like I really did as good as I could seeing as I had been sick the two weeks prior and really trained very very little.  SO on to the Race Report.

Race was this past saturday 5/9/09 and the weahter was pretty nice.  Low 60's and overcast in the morning but then the clouds cleared out and the sun came out and it got a LOT nicer. 

Swim - 300m's in a pool  - Time 00:6:21

The Swim was HILLARIOUS!  It was so crowded that you could barely move and it was the most relaxed and easy swim I have ever had.  Barely had to try to at all since the current from the previous 150+ swimmers had the water moving pretty nicely on its own.  I just kinda jumped in for the ride.  My right goggle filled with water a couple of times but I was able to stand up and walk a bit 2x's and adjust till they were right.  Yes it was that crowded that in the shallow end you could walk and not impede anyone.  LOL!  The other funny thing that happened half way through the swim was I saw a timing chip floating towards me so I did the respectable thing and grabbed it and then when I got to the end of that lap tossed it on the pool deck.  I just saved someone $30-50 in lost timing chip fees! Finished the swim and like I said.  I was not even winded.  Didnt feel like I had even swum at all.  Next year im going to seed myself much higher so that I can get pulled along faster and maybe get a swim PR!

T1 - 00:01:11

T1 was pretty uneventfull.  Still getting used to my new shoes and I would like to be able to leave them on the bike as that would crush my T1 time but i have not gotten to really practice that so not going to try it in a race.  

Bike - 11 miles - 00:33:41 - 19.6mph avg!!!

The bike felt really good.  I went out strong as I noticed we had a tail wind to start which would mean a head wind on the way back.  SO I took advantage of that.  My Computer has been giving me issues lately and decided it just didnt want to work on race day.  I smacked it around, pushed buttons, even removed it and reseated it but nope would not pick up speed.  (however when I got home and took my bike off the rack and wheeled it into the garage guess what started working??? GRRRRR)  so I thinks its new computer time.  NEway.  The other issue I had was my anti splash thingy in my profile aero drink bottle has died as its gotten really moldy and so I threw it away.  WOW does that really limit the splashing.  I think I lost half the water out of my bottle by it splashing on me so that was kinda annoying.  All in all it was a really good ride.  I only got passed by two people and did a LOT of passing.  One thing I love about racing is how its the one time you have the road to yourself.  I loved blowing through some major intersections with cars being stopped by police and just tearing through them!  I felt wicked fast on the bike and it was a lot of fun!

T2 - 00:00:47

I am typically able to produce what I consider to be lightning fast T2 times and this was no exception.  In and out in a jiffy with no issues.  I do not think I could have done it much faster!

Run - 00:26:18 - 8:29 pace

The run.  Sigh...this has been my achilles so far this season and I know why.  I have not done any brick workouts and hopefully I can start getting out to ceasars soon to work on that.  I just dont have any legs when I get to the run and both my last three races have resulted in an upset stomach once I started running so I need to work out that issue.  Other than that the course was pretty cool.  Out and back loop through settlers walk sub division so we were on the road and it was pretty much closed off to us.  There were a couple of pretty good hills that I was NOT expecting but I managed.  I was making good use of my watch and my goal was sub 01:10:00 and with one mile down I had 20 minutes left till the hour 10  mark so I felt like I just needed to keep a good pace and push as hard as I could but felt like my goal was definitly within reach.  As I came up the last hill and was about 500 yards from the finish chute I finally saw my girls!  (they got there about 15 min earlier as Kaiya decided to sleep in LOL)  Its always such a huge boost emotionally to see them and was a great way to finish!  

Final recap and numbers:
Total time 
01:08:18  w00t w00t made my goal!!!!!!!!  That time gave me a place of 11 out of 26 for my Age Group and 53 out of 231 overall so not too shabby.  SO im really happy with how I did and feel like it was a really good race for me considering the cold and all.  

Cheers mates!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sparky:

Can't believe you did so well when you've been ill! How do you place that high when you haven't been able to train? Are the other guys eating roast pork sandwiches and drinking pints for breakfast?

You're smokin laddie, in all the right ways! Go TEAM KNODEL!

Dad K (in Scotland)