Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Taking the plunge

Well I did it. I signed up for the Air Force Marathon today and now I have a few months to train and get back into marathon shape. Im pretty excited for a couple of reasons.

1. Ive been dying to do a long course race and this should take me somewhere around 3.5 - 4.5 hours to complete and although it will just be one event its a good mental booster b/c once I complete a marathon it will not be this impossible task.

2. This is my chance to stick it to the man, and the man in this case is the Air Force. Ya see ever since I was a wee lad I had one dream. Go to the Air Force Academy - become a fighter pilot - and finnaly fly the biggest fastest hunk of junk on the planet -- The space shuttle. Thats right kids my dream since I was little was to be a shuttle pilot. SO anyway long story short the airforce said I was not good enough for them b/c of regulations that were written in the 40's and are in many ways no longer applicable. SO here is my chance to show the Air Force that I am in fact good enough and that I am not the cripple they made me out to be.

Yes I know that not a single person hosting the event has any idea about this or even cares they are just happy that I am running in it. But for me its just a little personal score to settle.

Cheers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But you're not bitter, nooooo.

Anonymous said...

^thats what I was going to say.